Summer 2020 Newsletter
From emergency grants for front-line nonprofits, to helping individuals and families impacted by COVID-19 avoid eviction, to a fund designed to help inspire and develop diverse leaders, the Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation continues our work to serve as a catalyst for good for the place we all call home. Our Summer 2020 newsletter celebrates the efforts made possible thanks to so many in our community — individuals and families, businesses and nonprofits, and local leaders who have come together during this extraordinary time — working in collaboration to develop ideas and solutions for the complex challenges we're facing today.
In this issue
- A Message From the Chair of the Board: "As we reflect on recent events and begin to move forward, we believe it's important to consider what we've learned." Read the message from Susie Patrick, Chair of the Board for the Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation.
- Adapting and Responding to Local Needs: Thanks to support from visionary donors, the Foundation was able to award more than 30 emergency grants to front-line nonprofits impacted by COVID-19, providing critical support when our community needed it the most. Read the story.
- Fund to Help Inspire, Develop Diverse Leaders: The Bridging the Gap Fund is designed to help encourage and create engaged and empowered leaders within the city's growing number of diverse populations. Grants from the Fund will support efforts and programming centered around education, community building, story-telling and leadership development. Read the story.
- Building Community Within Our Community: When Joe and Jennifer Kirby came to us with the idea for a downtown dog park, we were honored to serve as their philanthropic partner to help make their dream come to life. When it’s completed later this summer, the park will serve as far more than just an outdoor space for dogs — it will also act as a catalyst for building and strengthening the community we all call home. Read the story.
- 'Going Above and Beyond' to Help: We’re proud to honor the Helpline Center and The Community Outreach as our 2020 Community Spirit Award recipients. Read the story.
- The Music Plays On: While the coronavirus continues to keep us apart, local arts organizations are using technology to connect us to the healing power of music, thanks to support from the Community Foundation. Read the story.
- Remembering a Visionary: Celebrating the life and legacy of former Community Foundation President Sue Brown. Read the story.