Supporting the Canton Community
Welcome to the Jim and Caroline Deinema Canton Community Foundation
Working together, we're enhancing the vibrancy of the community we call home.
About the Foundation
Founded in 1997, the Jim and Caroline Deinema Canton Community Foundation was created to improve the quality of life right here in our community. Gifts to the Foundation grow over time thanks to the benefit of a pooled investment that generates long-term asset growth.
Through the power of endowment, more than $100,000 has been granted to nonprofits and causes throughout the Canton area since our founding, touching the lives of people right here at home.
The Jim and Caroline Deinema Canton Community Foundation pursues opportunities to improve lives and strengthen our community. Organizations who serve our youth and senior citizens, as well as those dedicated to important causes such as education, the arts, cultural enrichment, historical preservation and more are all made stronger thanks to support from the Foundation.
In 1997, Caroline Deinema enlisted the support of community members, including longtime Canton resident and local banking executive Mike Broderick, to establish the Foundation following the death of her husband, Jim. Her hope was to honor his life and his legacy of care by helping to improve the quality of life for the Canton community — for good, for ever.
A few of our recent grant recipients include:
- Canton Boy Scouts Troop 60: In support of enhancements to the Boy Scouts’ facility.
- Canton Municipal Swimming Pool Project: This grant will provide support for Canton’s new community pool.
- Carnegie Center for the Arts, Culture and Education: In support the Canton Outdoor Summer Concert Series.
- Lawrence Elementary: This grant will help provide iPads for first and fourth grade teachers.
- Canton Open Air Market: This grant will support the musicians who provide music at this special neighborhood farmer’s market.
Interested in applying for a grant from the Jim and Caroline Deinema Canton Community Foundation? Applications are accepted annually in early December.
We're grateful to the following community members who volunteer their time to serve on our board:
- Karla Lems (Chair)
- Mike Broderick (Vice Chair)
- Eric Hohman (Secretary)
- Jonathan Toso (Treasurer)
- David Amundson
- John Devick
- Steve Deinema
- Sterling Heath
- Cheryl Johnson
- Bob Lier
- Edith Nelson
- Leah Peterson
- Brenda VanZee
Show Your Support
Join the movement to help enhance and ensure the vitality of the community we all call home.
Make your gift to the Jim and Caroline Deinema Canton Community Foundation today.