Apply for Grants
Enhancing Our Community
We're proud to award grants in support of projects or programs aimed at enhancing quality of life, addressing important needs and tackling challenges throughout our community.
We believe in the power of a thriving community. A community where people and families feel safe and have equal access to the resources they need for their health and well-being; where all kids have a fair shot at becoming the best they can be; where everyone has opportunities to inspire and be inspired through the arts; and where we all feel called and encouraged to drive bold change through service and leadership.
One way we're helping to build a thriving community is through our Community Grants.
Community Grants are made possible by the Community Fund Endowment, our most visionary endowment supported by unrestricted gifts. Donors to the Community Fund Endowment entrust the Foundation to award grants to local nonprofits.
Two types of community grants are available:
|Community Fund Grants|
Community Fund Grants are designed to support transformational ideas, programs or initiatives with the potential to drive significant social impact and/or spark meaningful change.
Spot Grants are designed to help to build a thriving, vibrant community by supporting projects and programs that address current challenges, create opportunities and build dialogue.
Because of the size and significance of Community Fund grants, proposals are usually reviewed by our Grants Committee within six to eight weeks after receipt of the proposal.
Spot grant proposals are reviewed by our Grants Committee within 10 business days after receipt of the proposal.
How to Apply
|Requests for Community Fund grants begin with a letter of inquiry. If approved for consideration, we will send you a complete application form and submission information, including the deadline for consideration.||Requests for Community Foundation Spot Grants begin with an online application. If your application is approved by our Grants Committee, we will contact you with next steps.|
|Apply||Submit a letter of inquiry.||Submit an application.|
Community grants are made to charitable activities benefiting the Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation’s service area. Our Grants Committee makes awards every two months to charitable organizations working within our grantmaking categories to address our community’s important needs and opportunities.
Typically, the Community Foundation makes awards to nonprofit organizations with IRS 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status that are undertaking projects that benefit the people of the Sioux Falls area.
Our Grants Committee considers requests for:
- Programs that require start-up funds to address important community needs or opportunities
- Expansion of programs that meet important community needs or opportunities
- Assistance to organizations weathering unforeseen or unusual financial crises
- Programs that increase an organization’s capacity to advance its mission more efficiently or effectively
- Programs or studies that inform the community’s understanding of needs or opportunities.
Throughout the year, the Community Foundation accepts proposals for additional grant opportunities:
Opening Doors Grants
Opening Doors is a funding collaborative designed to support organizations and ideas committed to lifting up disadvantaged individuals, families and children in the Sioux Falls area.
Grant proposals are due by Aug. 31, 2020. Learn more and apply.
- Proposals may be for new or existing programs
- Proposals may cover total activity costs or some portion thereof
- Proposals must serve the greater Sioux Falls area
- Typical grants range from $2,000 - $10,000
Youth Advisory Council Grants
Each year, the Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation's Youth Advisory Council accepts grant proposals from registered 501(c)3 tax-exempt youth-serving organizations that meet needs in the Sioux Falls community designated by the Council.
- Grants must be made to youth-serving, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations.
- Youth is defined as persons 0 -18 years old, unless otherwise obvious in funding priorities description. Individuals are not considered.
- Grants are for one year. Requests for more than one year of funding will not be considered.
- Geographic Restrictions: Sioux Falls area and surrounding communities within 10 miles.
The application period for 2021 Youth Advisory Council Grants will open in spring 2021.
Questions about which grant opportunity is right for you? Contact Patrick Gale, vice president, community investment, at 605.336.7055 x 20 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.