Note: An approximate 2.5% fee will be deducted from your gift.
How to Give
So Many Ways to Give
Gifts of cash, closely held stock, other securities, and real estate are the most common ways to give. Gifts can be given during the donor's lifetime, through a will or estate, or by designating SFACF as beneficiary of insurance policies or qualified retirement plans such as IRAs or 401Ks. Various forms of trusts, as well as gift annuities, are also welcome.
Donors may establish
- a non-permanent donor-advised fund with an initial gift of $5,000.
- a permanent endowment in their own name with a gift of $15,000 or more.
- a scholarship fund with a gift of $20,000 or more.
- a legacy gift through a will or estate.
Each fund has a unique charitable purpose, with distributions guided by a customized agreement created at no cost to the donor. To learn more about funds at SFACF, see Types of Funds below or view our All Fund Options chart.
This is how it works.
It's easy to make a gift to funds managed by Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation. See our annual report for lists of organizational, special project, and scholarship endowments. Or, consider establishing a donor-advised fund or making a gift to SFACF's unrestricted Community Funds endowment.
- Credit cards. Click on the "Donate" button at the top of this page to process gifts through PayPal. Please note that an approximate 2.5% fee will be deducted from your gift. Donors who wish to make gifts of more than $2,500 will need to set up a PayPal account. Gifts of less than $2,500 are processed as ordinary credit card transactions.
- Check. Make out your check and mail it to Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation, 300 N. Phillips Avenue #102, Sioux Falls, SD 57104-6035.
- Stock. You may make arrangements for stock gifts through your financial advisor, or by contacting Candy Hanson at extension 12, (605) 336-7055.
For all gifts, please provide SFACF with the following information:
- Your name, address, and telephone number.
- The name of the fund to which you'd like to give.
- If the gift is made in honor or in memory of someone, include that person's name and the name and address of the person who should receive a gift card.
SFACF is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization under the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions are deductible to the maximum extent allowable for federal income tax purposes.Types of Funds
Permanent funds at SFACF are perpetual trusts. Donations to SFACF funds are placed in a long-term investment pool. Each year, a portion of the fund balance is paid to charitable activities. The rest of the earnings are reinvested, thus the fund is never depleted. There are several types of permanent funds.
Your gift to our unrestricted endowments helps us meet the ever-evolving needs in our area. Our grants committee makes awards every two months to community initiatives and charitable organizations that are addressing important needs and opportunities.
Field of Interest Funds
These endowments are created by donors who want to support a general area of philanthropic work. Whether your interest lies in youth enrichment, the arts, or outdoor recreation, SFACF will work with you to design a grant selection process that achieves your vision.
If you wish to benefit one or more organizations that have touched your life, a designated endowment may be a good fit. These funds pay annual grants to the organizations you choose, for good, for ever, and can be established with current or deferred gifts.
Donor-advised funds are best suited to donors who want to be involved in grantmaking. You and your successors advise the donations — or grants — that will be made from the fund's assets. Donor-advised funds can be permanent or nonpermanent. See below for more information about nonpermanent funds.
Invest in the next generation. You can determine the criteria students must meet to receive the scholarship you establish. With your assistance, students achieve their academic goals — from preschool to postgraduate work.
A nonpermanent donor-advised fund is the ultimate layaway plan. Bank your charitable dollars with Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation. Let us know when you want to spend them. We'll send donations in your name to the charities you want to support.
Having a nonpermanent donor-advised fund means being able to
- make a single gift and send donations to several charities.
- qualify for charitable deductions, even if you don't normally itemize your tax return.
- contribute gifts of stock when prices are high, stashing the cash until you're ready to use it.
- make tax-deductible, year-end gifts and give donations to charity all year long.
Nonpermanent donor-advised funds are perfect for individuals, families, and businesses that wish to organize and simplify their charitable giving. Passing contributions through your charitable fund at SFACF means that your gift is deductible in the current tax year, but can be used in future years. Fund statements give you a record of all the donations — or grants — you've advised that year, allowing you to easily track your giving history.
Donor-Advised Grant Recommendation Form (Please note, you must save this form to your computer and email it to email@example.com to submit)
We Build Charitable Assets